Historical sites - Visit Iitti

IITTI KIRKONKYLÄ

In the Kymenlaakso cultural tradition, peasant culture is best seen in Iitti Kirkonkylä. The village was the center of the parish until the end of the last century, when the construction of the Helsinki-St. Petersburg railway gradually moved the administrative center south of the village, to Kausala.

Kirkonkylä retained its milieu and building, thanks to which it was awarded the title of Finland's most beautiful village in 1990 (MEK / YLE). The following year, Iitti placed fourth in the European Most Beautiful Village competition in Norway.

IITTI CHURCH

Iitintie 846, 47520 IITTI

The present church was built at the crossroads of land and waterways shortly before the beginning of the Great Wrath in 1693. The model of the cruciform church has been St. Catherine's Church, completed in the early 1690s. The flat vaulted domes are made in the model of the Hollola stone church, while the water roof is of the Hollola style, which is characterized by a high ausle roof. The architecturally valuable cruciform church is one of the fifteen wooden churches in Finland that have survived from the 17th century.

READ MORE FROM IITTI PARISH WEBSITE

KIRKONKYLÄ VILLAGE HOUSE

Kymentaantie 1, 47520 IITTI

Art exhibition and summer cafe open Sun-Fri 10am-8pm, Sat 10am-5pm, Midsummer's Eve 24.6. 10am-5pm

The Empire-style, gabled-roofed house of Kirkonkylä's summer café was moved to its current location from Jaala in 1869. It housed Iitti's first elementary school until 1965.

Today, the house has a summer café maintained by the local rganizations, an exhibition space with changing art exhibitions and the Iitti Craftsmen's Association's Summer Shop.

IITITI MUSEUM

Museomäki, Museotie 8, 47520 Iitti

The museum is located in Iitti Kirkonkylä in a grain warehouse completed in 1830. The museum's main exhibition mainly presents the peasant artefacts of the turn of the last century: agricultural tools, housekeeping and interior design. In addition to the warehouse, the area has a barn from the 1750s.

KARRALA KOTISEUTUTALO

Myllymäentie 32, 47310 Haapakimola

The starting and ending point of the Karrala nature trail is the Karrala hometown. It is an old 18th century peasant house that has been restored into a country house. Karrala belongs to the village of Koliseva.


Guided tours by appointment; Irma Napola puh. 045 2326 242.
How to get there: Haapakimola - Elimäki- road, road guide: Kotiseututalo Karrala - Kolisevantieltä

LYÖTTILÄ FIELD FORTRESSES

In the village of Lyöttilä, there are battle and connecting graves, colonies and unfinished ditches in the two-kilometer-long area. The Finns and Russians built fortresses between 1916 and 1917 to repel the German invasion.

Lyöttilä-based farmer Esa Anttas has restored 200 meters of these fortresses and marked the path around the forts.


Guided tours by appointment:
puh. 040 524 9629 Esa Anttas.


COMMEMORATIVE STONES

- The memorial stone of Perheniemi, or Pärhä, was unveiled at the village's 500th anniversary celebrations on September 4, 1960. The names of the families who lived in the village at the end of the Middle Ages in 1460 were engraved on the stone. The stone is located in the park of Perheniemi College. Address: Perheniementie 75.

- Memorial relief and stone of Anders Johan Sjögren In the church village of Iitti there is an academic of linguistics and ethnology, academician A.J. Sjögren's memorial relief. 

- The stone of Torvikallio along Iitintie, quite close to Kirkonkylä, reminds us that the first sermons were performed on the Iitti side in the then Hollola. The years of the circulating priests' sermons are estimated to be 1400 - 1539. The church is not known to have been present. At this stone it is only about half a kilometer down the ridge slope to the old village of Radansuu.

- The Radansuu memorial stone says: "The village of Radansuu was located in this place from 1445 to 1868." The stone is located almost on the shores of Lake Urajärvi in ​​Radansuu, behind the golf courses.

- The memorial stone of Peter Lyöti is also the memorial stone of the village of Lyöttilä. Lyöttilä is also an old village of Iitti. The memorial stone reads as follows: Peter Lyöti gained ownership of the land of Lyöttilä on October 13, 1458. Stone is located in the old village center on Kylänmäki. Now you can get there down a small path.

- The memorial stone of the departure of the war, the so-called a stone of veterans, stands on a small mound near Ravilinna in Kausala.

- A memorial stone to the Kausala bombings. It was erected in July 2011 on a hillside behind the high school. Right next to the rock is a pit left by one of the air bombs in 1941. The bombing wreaked more havoc elsewhere: several bombs fell near Mikkola's house, killing the 2-year-old girl immediately and seriously injuring her mother. The memorial service and the unveiling of the memorial plaques took place on July 3, 2011.

- The memorial stone to the heroes is located in Kausala near the parish center. The names of the people who fell in 1939-1944 have been carved into the stone.

- The Tillola Battle Memorial (1790) is located along Highway 12 on the Tillola, on the wooded slope of Salpausselkä.

- The memorial stone of the Swedish-Finnish army camp site is located on a hill above the former school in Perheniemi, the so-called The camp hill. “Three crowns have been carved in the stone. The worn text would seem to tell: Leirinmäki The Swedish-Finnish army trained in this place from 1740 to 1808. The accuracy of the years in the stone is poor. As a camp site for the wars of Gustav III, this is mentioned in 1790 ”(A. Halila: History of Iitti I)

- Tombstone of the Great Brothers (1918). Location: Sääksjärvi, Ellola land

- Statue of the hero. Location: Iitti Church Village, Iitti Parish Old Cemetery

- Monument to the victims of 1918. Location: Iitti Church Village, parish house park

- Monument to the victims of 1918. Location: Iitti Church Village, new cemetery

- Monument to the victims of 1918. Location: Vuolenkoski, close to Vuolenkoski school

- Memorial memory of the heroes. Location: Vuolenkoski, Vuolenkoski Cemetery

- There is a plaque on the side of Ravilinna's main door, reminiscent of the Conservatory House, which houses the South Iitti Conservatory and the Lotta-Svärd organization.

- There is a tile on the wall of Radansuu Manor Hotel that says that the Maintenance School operated there during the wars.

- In the old cemetery of the church village of Iitti, there is a memorial stone of 14 deceased people buried in the area given up in the area of ​​the hero's grave.